About Our Candles
As I began evaluating everything I would need to start a candle company, I broke down every individual aspect of selling them as a product. Who would have expected that I'd discover there was a lot more to it than I expected? As part of my process, I listed everything I would need, and for every item I sought out the best possible resources available to use. Here is the final breakdown of what makes our candles the right choice for you, and the environment:
- The Wax: We use 100% pure natural soy wax. That means that it is a plant based biodegradable wax. A majority of candle companies use a product called Paraffin wax, or a "Soy Blend" (which almost always means it contains Paraffin). Paraffin wax is a petroleum byproduct that is known for making extremely aesthetically pleasing candles very easily and at low cost. However, paraffin production takes a massive negative toll on the environment, and several studies have produced early results that it may be carcinogenic. Our soy wax on the other hand, is American grown, sourced from sustainable farms, and is free of pesticide/herbicide residues, petroleum, and any animal products.
- The Jars: Our candle jars are made from 100% recycled Spanish Glass.
- The Wicks: Our Wooden Wicks are sourced from mills certified by the Forest Stewardship Council and manufactured entirely in the United States.
- The Fragrances: All of our fragrances are phthalate free and free of ingredients that would require us to label them under Proposal 65. Pthalates are esters of Phthalic acid which are easily used to dissolve ingredients or 'hold' scents when creating fragrance oils. They have been linked to swaths of health issues and have been banned from numerous products, but not yet candles. In addition, all of our base Fragrances are sourced from manufacturers who are cruelty free, and Leaping Bunny Certified!
- The Candle Labels: The labels on your candle are not only made of 100% recycled content, but are processed completely chlorine free. All of the cardstock and adhesives are recyclable and RCA certified.
- The Lids: The Cork lids that come with our full size candle line are made from pesticide free forests in Portugal which are not cut down, but instead have their bark harvested once a decade!
- The Boxes: Our individual candle boxes are made of 100% recycled content, 95% of which is post-consumer content. These boxes have 0 virgin fiber content and are made in the United States.
- The Ink: On our boxes we use Algae Ink. This ink is the world's most sustainable ink. Water based, the pigment is made with algae cells instead of carbon. Because of the live algae cultivated, this ink is CARBON NEGATIVE.
- The Packaging Materials: Rather than using wasteful bubble wraps or plastics, we used packaging materials that are all 100% recycled content. From the corrugated bubble wrap, to the soft white gift paper, it is all 100% recycled and recyclable.
- The Notecards: When you order from us, you'll find a small notecard that details many of these things for you! Even that small notecard is made from 100% recycled material that is sourced from recovered trash.
- The Tape: We have to tape the boxes up somehow, and adhesives are usually not recyclable. Our water based sealing tape is made of 50% recycled content, and is 100% recycle-friendly.
- The Shipping Labels: Our thermal printed labels are made of 100% recycled content and are certified curbside recyclable, adhesive and all.
- The Shipping: To offset the carbon footprint of shipping, we donate a small portion of each purchase to forest protection initiatives. The offset projects are backed by Gold Standard, Verified Carbon Standard (VCS), American Carbon Registry (ACR) in order to assure transparent and quality offsets. To see where your specific offset is going to, you can click on 'Details' next to our offset notification in your cart, right under the seller instructions box! This all comes at no additional cost to you!
I am currently the sole owner and operator of Storied Scents. As of right now I handle every step of the process which includes hand pouring, mixing, burn testing, packaging, and shipping!
I have been making candles for several years now, and when I decided it was time to set out and create a business to follow that hobby I knew from the start that I wanted to do it the right way. For me, this means total transparency with what makes up our candles to you the customer, and a dedication to the environment by maximizing waste reduction and minimizing our carbon footprint as much as possible.
I spent well over a year researching every step of the processes I would have to put in place and the resources I would need. As you can see from the list above, I found that there were way more aspects to a single product than I had ever seriously considered. That however didn't stop me, and I took the time to hunt down and screen the companies and manufacturers that would be able to provide me, and in turn you, the best recycled and sustainable ingredients for my candles! This research and screening process never really stopped, and I am constantly on the watch for newer and better materials that can make both myself, and you, proud to have these products as a part of our lives.